1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

1st Corinthians 7

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by FarsightX3, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 1st Corinthians 7

So I am reading 1st Corinthians. I have just read the marriage section, chapter 7. Wow. Very interesting. So I take that marriage is not really a good thing because it divides the focus of between God and your wife. Most importantly God comes first and we must please God. So a single man should stay single? Hmm. This one is a hard one to swallow at the moment because I deeply desire to have a wife since I knew any better.

Maybe in time I can understand what Paul was meaning here. I am not mad that Paul feels this way. However, I see his point. But can anyone care to elaborate on why as well as explaining it? I would really like to understand.
  2. I think it was exactly as you said. Marriage takes alot of work, time, love and devotion. Anytime you have other things in your life that have needs to be met, those needs are going to replace some time with GOD. Paul felt it was a distraction. And He wanted His self to be completly devoted to GOD, no exceptions. However, marriage can be a good thing, the tough part is both people understanding God comes first, followed by the other comes next, self last.
  3. My friend, Paul said he was not speaking as a command from the Lord, but, if one could 'be an enuch for the sake of the kingdom,' let him be one, if he can accept it, but, if he would burn with lust, let him marry.

"For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it." Matthew 19:12 see the verse before this

...But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man has his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. I Cor 7:6-17

If you would burn with lust or passion if you were to remain celibate, then that would not be your gift or calling. Some however, are gifted and set apart to serve the Lord more fully by remaining single and thus being fully devoted to the Lord without being involved with the concerns, (albeit godly) of pleasing a wife. Some are to rasie up godly offspring unto the Lord. God said it is not good for man to be alone, and needs a helper; woman, and the two shall become one, the husband should give himself up for the wife as Christ did the Church, sacrifically-wholeheartedly , and out of devoted love, and the wife should submit to the husband as does the Bride to Christ. If the husband be an unbeliever, she is to ty and win him by her gentle submission, but ultimately her obedience and loyalty is to God, and insofar as she is not disobeying God, she should obey the husband and submit to the authority in keeping with God's Word.

may the Lord give us all wisdom and insight and love for Him and the Brethren (and sisters :) ) in Jesus' Holy Name, amen
  4. if everybody stayed single,and obviously no sex before marriage=no humans.?i guess God is explaining free will to us,how for some ok ,others not ok.you decide your own way.
  5. if you followed the bible word for word,you would be single ,never to have sex.luckily abraham didn,t live today,his seed would be none.we are all fallen short.and we certainly don,t want to put the young of God by boring churches and impossible standards.Christ came to save us,his message was eternal life and love.
  6. The bible also say's be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect.blessings
  7. Christ says all have fallen short.Christ gives us the victory,and its all about LOVE.not impossible rules.
  8. "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him." John 14:21

"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. John 14:15

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome. I John 5:3

Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2

Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11

For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3:3

and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed. I Peter 2:24

Come, house of Jacob, and let us walk in the light of the LORD. Isaiah 2:5

This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. I John 1:5
  9. Probably more of a matter of what we were called to do. Some people are called for marriage others not called to not be married.
  10. Paul did not mean to dismiss marriage or sex within marriage as being bad, but to affirm that celibacy is a viable, even to him preferable, lifestyle. He is countering the issue raised in 7:1; apparently some were teaching that sex was evil even within marriage, and if someone wanted to truly be spiritual they needed to be celibate even if they were married. They apparently pointed to Jesus and Paul as examples of such spirituality, and even misinterpreted what Jesus said concerning divorce to affirm their beliefs not understanding the Jewish context of what Jesus said. A couple of factors likely influenced these people to believe sex was evil. 1) Plato promoted the concept that it was best to use one's will to elevate one's intellect and suppress one's passions. 2) People delivered from the occultic sexual "worship" practices of Corinth's Temple of Aprhodite would have been predisposed to associate sex with evil. And 3) Jesus and Paul were both celibate.

Paul is addressing this issue, the belief that sex in itself was evil; and what he said should be interpreted in light of the issue he is addressing. Paul affirms both celibacy and marriage as viable life-styles for the Christian. He recognizes that celibacy is a gift, not the norm; and seeks to affirm it because it is not the norm. But he's careful to affirm that marriage and sex within marriage is natural, to be expected, and even ordained by God. I mean, it was God that ordered the first marriage.

If you're not gifted in celibacy, I encourage you to marry for it is better to marry than to burn with passion! Most people "need" to marry to have a healthy outlet for their sexual passion, the desire to have children, and their most basic desire to be loved and not be alone. Few are gifted in celibacy. And those who are so gifted need to be encouraged in their gift to not worry that they are not like everyone else, that they are special.
  11. i agree,to many people are to rigid.
  12. That is well said Sherman Perfect! I couldn't have said it better.:)

Chili out.
  13. So for the record then, alhough God gave the general command to humans to "be fruitful and multiply" in Genesis 1:28, are we to conclude from Paul's statements in 1 Corinthians chapter 7 that the command is just a general command and not an obligation for each and every single Christian on earth? Suppose a modern Christian chose to forgo an attempt to find a mate and just live the single life, completely devoted to God. Do you feel this would be a sin? If not/so, why?
  14. A quick survey of the command "be fruitful and multiply" shows the following. It was given to:
    Birds and sea animals in Genesis 1:22 at creation.
    Adam and Eve, the only two humans in existence at the time of Genesis 1:28
    Noah and His family, again, the only humans at the time of Genesis 9:1 & 7
    Jacob (Israel), whose children would be the fathers of the twelve tribes.

I don't see in any of this a specific command from God to every human for all time to marry and have children. The command is given at times of beginning. The beginning of mankind in creation, the beginning of mankind after the flood, the beginning of the people and nation of Israel. So, yes, I believe Paul's words would lead one to conclude that the command is either a general one, or even just a specific one for specific people at specific times, not all people at all times. A person who is able to so discipline themselves and chooses to dedicate all of his or her time and energy to serving the Lord is not sinning.
  15. God is very clear that no sexual union should occur unless between husband and wife. So with that in mind, what would have happened to the world if every man remained single and never married around Adam's time?

Then Mary would never have been born either, in turn, Jesus never could have come to Earth.

I do however believe that some men are called to serve God full time and focus on that work and nothing but that work, so a few holy men are asked to remain single.
  16. I have a good friend infact hes one of my biggest minestry supporters and he is 66 years old and hasnt ever been married because he has no interest in a relationships at all with woman but he is straight.He feels called to help support minestries that are just starting up so I have a huge amount of rerspect for him because hes doing what he was called to do in life.He has been around the world several times and hes always there for me when I need help.I believe if your not called to be married or if you do get married and dont want childern than I believe you shouldnt.I have a strong belief that God has a purpose and a destiney for every human being.The true question should be though how many people really and honestly seek after Gods will for their life.
  17. God bless that man's heart, respect to him. He has responded to Matthew 16:24 and picked up and carried the cross. I wish I could meet this man.