1 Sam 31:1-6

1 Samuel 31:1-6 King James Version (KJV)
31 Now the Philistines fought against Israel: and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain in mount Gilboa.

2 And the Philistines followed hard upon Saul and upon his sons; and the Philistines slew Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Melchishua, Saul's sons.

3 And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him; and he was sore wounded of the archers.

4 Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.

5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise upon his sword, and died with him.

6 So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armourbearer, and all his men, that same day together.

An American English Bible

With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

Chapter 31
1Well, in the war between the Philistines and IsraEl, the IsraElites were routed by the Philistines, and they were slaughtered all the way to Mount GilBoa.2Then the Philistines caught up with Saul and his sons, and they were able to cut down JoNathan, AbiNadab, andMelchiShua(Saul's sons);3but the battle got bogged down when they were fighting Saul. Then a bowman shot at Saul and wounded him in the spleen.4And Saul said to his weapons bearer: 'Unsheathe your broadsword and run me through with it, so that one of these uncircumcised men doesn't kill me and then make fun of me!'

But the man carrying his weapons was afraid and he didn't want to do it; so Saul took his broadsword and fell on it.5And when the man carrying his weapons saw that Saul was dead, he fell on his sword and died also.

6So Saul, all three of his sons, his weapons bearer, and all of his men died that same day.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 This was a very strong defeat this happened because Saul stopped following the Lord, this battle would not bring down the nation but the currant kingdom. They were often having battles with the Philistines these battles go back for years.

2 They killed Saul’s sons this would normally cripple a kingdom because they were doing away with kings heirs which would cause a fight for power if the Lord had not already chosen David, the battle would have went longer then it did.

3 They were able to shoot him arrows wounding him perhaps to take him as a slave but this prevented him from fighting any more.

4 Saul wanted the man to kill him so he would not become a mockery, the man was wise because he did not kill the one the Lord had made as king, we should never take things into our own hands but let God lead us to do things, Saul was afraid of what he would become but he was not concerned about his relationship with the Lord which he should have been since he was not in a good place. Saul killed himself.

5 The sword bearer also killed himself; we should not take part in other people ruin as this man does.

6 The kingdom was weaken because of these deaths and it would be shaken but God would use this to give David the throne he had been promised.

I agree! God did not cause it Saul did. He was as a god unto himself. He often did things his way. We can see the fruit of the tree in Saul (Genesis 3:5)...the Lord foreknew this would happen and allowed it so He could put a man like David into leadership (a man after His own heart)...

This is His way, to allow things and to occasionally intervene but working ALL things together for the good of those who love Him (even the trials build the character and equip the saint)...in the establishing of His kingdom

In His love

brother Paul

Back