1 Kings 5:1-3

1 Kings 5:1-3 King James Version (KJV)

5 And Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants unto Solomon; for he had heard that they had anointed him king in the room of his father: for Hiram was ever a lover of David.

2 And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying,

3 Thou knowest how that David my father could not build an house unto the name of the Lord his God for the wars which were about him on every side, until the Lord put them under the soles of his feet.

Easy English Bible

1 Hiram (was the) king of Tyre. He heard that Solomon had become king after his father (David). So (Hiram) sent his servants to Solomon, because Hiram had always been a friend of David. 2 And Solomon sent (this message) to Hiram. It said, 3 ‘You know about my father David. He was unable to build a temple for the Name of the LORD his God. This was because people on all sides fought wars against my father David. (They did this) until God caused him to beat his enemies.

© Wycliffe Associates (UK), 1997-2008

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 This shows that they had respect for Solomon as the new king. They had a respect for David and it carried on to Solomon. They did not know how exactly he would be as king they may have themselves went to visit David. They wanted to show last respect to David by showing they accept his son as the new king.

2 These servants served as messagers. They may have been sent for this purpose.

3 God would not let David build the temple because of him being a warrior but it would have been bad idea to build the temple prior to a time of peace because it would have been the first place they attacked. Instead of just taking the ark they would have destroyed the temple as the kingdoms would later.

'And Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants unto Solomon;
for he had heard that they had anointed him king in the room of his father:
for Hiram was ever a lover of David.
And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying,
Thou knowest how that David my father could not build an house unto the name of the LORD his God
for the wars which were about him on every side,
until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet.'

(1 Kings 5:1-3)

Hello @[B]Clark Thompson[/B],

This reminds me of (1 Corinthians 15:24-28) , and the Son of David, Who was and is also the Son of God, our Saviour.

'Then cometh the end,
when He shall have delivered up the kingdom to God,
even the Father;
when He shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

For He must reign, till He hath put all enemies under His feet.
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
For He hath put all things under His feet.
But when He saith all things are put under Him,
it is manifest that He is excepted,
which did put all things under Him.
And when all things shall be subdued unto Him,
then shall the Son also Himself be subject unto Him that put all things under Him,
that God may be all in all.'

Praise His Name!

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Back