1 Kings 3:3-4

1 Kings 3:3-4 King James Version (KJV)

3 And Solomon loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of David his father: only he sacrificed and burnt incense in high places.

4 And the king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there; for that was the great high place: a thousand burnt offerings did Solomon offer upon that altar.

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

3 And since Solomon loved Jehovah (and because he was following the orders of his father David), he also offered his sacrifices and burnt incense there. 4 So at the time, Solomon got up and went to GibeOn to offer sacrifices (since that was the highest place), where he offered a thousand whole burnt offerings upon the Altar.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

3 This is the main reason why Solomon was chosen because he loved the Lord and would follow Him because of it. Solomon followed the Lord David his father did, neither were perfect by both had faith in Him and followed His ways and laws.

4 This shows how Solomon felt about the Lord, this was not him showing off but giving back to the Lord blessed him it was him showing that what he had meant nothing compared to him having the Lord, this is the heart of true worship, putting the Lord first.

I'm not sure much more can be said. Yes, Solomon truly loved YHVH God. He also showed this by following his earthly fathers' statutes. This sounds like someone who is submissive, rather than saying I'll do it all my way.

Back