1 Kings 2:42-43

1 Kings 2:42-43 King James Version (KJV)

42 And the king sent and called for Shimei, and said unto him, Did I not make thee to swear by the Lord, and protested unto thee, saying, Know for a certain, on the day thou goest out, and walkest abroad any whither, that thou shalt surely die? and thou saidst unto me, The word that I have heard is good.

43 Why then hast thou not kept the oath of the Lord, and the commandment that I have charged

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

42 the king sent for Semei and said to him: 'Didn't you swear by Jehovah, and didn't I warn you that if you left JeruSalem (whether to the right or the left), you will surely die? 43 So, why haven't you kept your oath to Jehovah and followed the instructions that I gave you?'

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

42 This promise was Solomon showing him mercy; he could have killed him earlier for what he did to David Solomon’s father and the king before Solomon. A promise to the Lord is most strict even though many probably broke it finding a way out of it. Solomon made this oath with him to spare his life but he chose to go his own way out of that place.

43 His promise to the Lord he should have kept his word if he wanted to stay alive, for us to live we have to Christ but many will chose to keep and go there way, they live a life for Christ for a time and go there own way because they never gave their life to Him.

Back