1 Kings 2:28-31

1 Kings 2:28-31 King James Version (KJV)
28 Then tidings came to Joab: for Joab had turned after Adonijah, though he turned not after Absalom. And Joab fled unto the tabernacle of the Lord, and caught hold on the horns of the altar.
29 And it was told king Solomon that Joab was fled unto the tabernacle of the Lord; and, behold, he is by the altar. Then Solomon sent Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, saying, Go, fall upon him.
30 And Benaiah came to the tabernacle of the Lord, and said unto him, Thus saith the king, Come forth. And he said, Nay; but I will die here. And Benaiah brought the king word again, saying, Thus said Joab, and thus he answered me.
31 And the king said unto him, Do as he hath said, and fall upon him, and bury him; that thou mayest take away the innocent blood, which Joab shed, from me, and from the house of my father.

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

28 Well, the news of this reached JoAb (the son of ZeruJah); and because he had supported AdoniJah (not Solomon), he ran to the Tent of Jehovah and grabbed hold of the horns on the Altar. 29 So when Solomon was told, 'JoAb has fled to the Tent of Jehovah; and look, he's hanging onto the horns of the Altar,' he sent [a message] to JoAb, asking, 'What's wrong with you? Why have you fled to the Altar?'
And JoAb replied: 'Because I was afraid of you, I fled to Jehovah for refuge.'
Then Solomon sent BenaiJah (the son of JehoiAda), telling him: 'Go and kill him, and then bury him.'
30 Well, when BenaiJah (the son of JehoiAda) reached JoAb at the Tent of Jehovah, he said to him: 'The king commands you to come away from there!'
And JoAb said: 'I'm not coming! For I'd rather die here!'
So BenaiJah (the son of JehoiAda) returned to the king and told him what JoAb said, 31 and the king told him: 'Then go and do what he told you to do… kill him, and then bury him! That way, you'll remove the blood that he shed for no reason from me and from the house of my father.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

28 This altar was for the Lord and he should have been looking to God but instead he was hiding to not allow his death.

29 Sometimes we can protection in God. Sometimes we have to face judgment, he was not seeking God, and he chose to go against what God wanted from him and was not willing to face the results of his decisions. He was going to die for going against the king. Many will taste death for going against the King.

30 There was not to be shedding of blood inside the tent. The tent was to remain pure a place of refuge a place of God not of death.

31 They were going to kill him inside the tabernacle which was now going to be done; this may have been why the temple would soon have been starting being built by Solomon. It was God’s will to remove this family from the priesthood and he was the only one left, it was always God plan to have Solomon build the temple, this instance made way for perhaps both.

Back