1 Kings 1:50-51

1 Kings 1:50-51King James Version (KJV)
50 And Adonijah feared because of Solomon, and arose, and went, and caught hold on the horns of the altar.
51 And it was told Solomon, saying, Behold, Adonijah feareth king Solomon: for, lo, he hath caught hold on the horns of the altar, saying, Let king Solomon swear unto me today that he will not slay his servant with the sword.

American English Bible
50 Now, AdoniJah was afraid because of Solomon, so he got up and walked outside, and then he went and grabbed hold of the horns on the Altar. 51 Well, when it was reported to Solomon that AdoniJah was afraid of him and that he was holding the horns of the Altar and saying, 'Let Solomon swear to me today that he won't kill his servant with his sword,'

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

50 This was perhaps because he knew God was on Solomon’s side or more possible he saw all of Israel on Solomon’s side. He went to a place of refuge, Solomon would not have done anything to him as long as he was here, and Israel had respect for these cities.

51 Words did travel as though it would not have been as fast as it is today, the news got around. Solomon could have used this knowledge to benefit him instead of just trusting the Lord. We see why he held the altar, he was praying, it was common to kill those who were a threat to your throne and since he already attempted to take it he was a threat, David was earlier seen as a threat to Saul’s throne even though he made no attempt to take Saul’s throne, Saul looked to kill David.

Back