1 John 2:15 - Study

Jeffin

Webmaster
Staff member
Helper
From my Bible study today ;) http://www.jeffin.com/2011/01/19/loving-god-above-everything/
------------------------------
I was studying 1 John 2:15 which says:
‘Do not love the world or anything in this world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the father is not in him.’

So what should I do? Hate and avoid everything even money, house, car, job etc. What is God saying here? I don’t believe in twisting the Word of God for our times or our own pleasure and altering its meaning. I believe God’s word can be used literally for the season we are in.
Let me help you understand.
Remember the story of how Jesus was tempted in the desert (Matt 4:8). The devil took our Lord to a high mountain and showed him the world and its splendour. Have you looked out your window and seen how the world looks like. The buildings, houses, nice cars, trees, all the fancy stuff. There’s so much here we can crave for. Jesus rebukes the devil, walks through the same streets that the devil claimed to be his, and ministered to the sinners and showed us true love.
Okay so, do not love the world does not mean we reject the world and choose to live away from everything. It means we love God above everything and not allow the world to influence our relationship with him. It is impossible for us to love the world and also love God. When we love something we automatically follow it or let it speak into us and we reject the opposite. Money or wealth is not bad. In fact, these are some of the things that follow blessing (Psalm 35:27). Wealth is bad if we allow it to deceive us (See Matt 13:22).
Another example – Television is bad if we allow it to cause lust in us. Television is also a great tool for evangelism. Love television and we can be deceived. Love God, not the television and we know how to use a television without sinning.
Jesus lived the same life we are now living. The difference is he loved the Father above everything.
What's your revelation?

Great post.

This reminds me about a quote that Franchis Chan had in his book "Crazy Love" (Excellent book btw). He essentially said something to the effect that humans are wired to strive to attain things in which we do not have. So that car we see, the clothes we pass by, things like that take our attention and focus away. I really think he hits the nail on the head as the grace of God and Jesus is a free gift for all who accept it. Since we have it and its free our human selves focus on what we do not have.

Hope that makes sense.

Well...'the world' can mean 3 different things basically:

(1) As denoting the physical universe; the world as it appears to the eye; the world considered as the work of God, as a material creation.
(2) the world as applied to the people that reside in it - "the world of mankind."
(3) as the dwellers on the earth are by nature without religion, and act under a set of maxims, aims, and principles that have reference only to this life, the term comes to be used with reference to that community; that is, to the objects which they especially seek, and the principles by which they are actuated.

I think what your verse is talking about Jeff, is number 3 on our list there as not loving the numbers 1&2 simply doesnt make any sense. The things of 'the world' are the lusts of the flesh. And the people of 'the world' are spiritually blind and we are not to love their maxims and statutes and principles etc, but only the Lords.

Compare to:

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

We are not of 'the World' as it is used in this sense. Thats why we should not love its ways.

Thats my deuce centiemme Jeff my friend.

Consider also:

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Kinda makes you wonder what on Earth Rick Warren is doing holding hands with the U.N. and pushing this 'Agenda 21' world peace nonsense??

The prescription goes by the name Agenda 21, a.k.a. “Sustainable Development” or “Smart Growth.” Agenda 21 is a published document put out by the United Nations with the intent to put limits on population and to restructure nation-states into a global society. [3] Rick Warren’s “new friends” had dubbed it, “The Daniel Plan – God’s Prescription For Your Health.” A more appropriate title would’ve been, ”Sustainable Living - Destroying Inalienable Rights, One Community at a Time.”

Rick Warren and Agenda 21

In the Bible, "world" come from "word", and this come from: Mark 7:6-7 "This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me(ie: they do not believe in Me, after), teaching for doctrines the commandments of men(ie follow/practice other faith, that is not My Teach/Doctrine/Commandments).",

Genesis 2:16-17 "And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it(ie but do not follow/practice other faith/spirit): for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.",

Revelation 13:18 "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man(ie faith/spirit/doctrine of a human/satan); and his number is Six hundred threescore and six(ie only something from the last six commandments without the first four).",

Revelation 14:1-5 "And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads(ie these believers that Keep the first four-five Commandments, not only the last six - comment: the first is this from Genesis 2:16-17, the first four are these from Exodus 20: 3-11, and for this the Number is "144"). And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. These are they which were not defiled with women(ie which do not follow/practice other faith/spirit in comparison with the sinful acts of "Eve"-type believers); for they are virgins(ie because they are Clean "inside"). These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth(ie they Believe only in This Who Realy is the True Lord God of Good). These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile(ie other/false doctrine/preach): for they are without fault before the throne of God.",

first Commandment(Exodus 20:3): do not believe in other gods except This Who Realy is the True Lord God fo Good - Exodus 3:14-15 "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM(ie I Am This Who Realy Is the True Lord God of Good): and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.", 1 John 5:19-21 "And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. Little children, keep yourselves from idols(ie from other gods/lords/sons). Amen.",

second Commandment(Exodus 20:4-6): do not make any human-notion or any human-mentality, in the faith, of any thing at all, do not believe in such, and do not serve to such - 1 Corinthians 8:1-4 "Now as touching things offered unto idols(ie "graven image"/"likeness"), we know that we all have (some) knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth(ie the Love/Good Save all humans/humanity). And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God, the same is known of him. As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.", Romans 2:28-29 "For he is not a Jew(ie Upright/Good/Clean), which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew(ie Upright/Good/Clean), which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.", 2 Corinthians 3:4-6 "And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit(ie of the Good): for the letter killeth, but the spirit(ie the Love) giveth life.",

third Commandment(Exodus 20:7): do not use/practice the faith for purposes that are not by Volition of Lord God - John 6:38-39 "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.", Luke 9:56 "For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.", 1 John 4:20-21 "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother(ie some human), he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.", James 3:7-10 "For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue(ie the human/false faith/spirituality) can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father(ie in case that the faith/religion is Upright); and(ie in other case, ie if the faith/religion is unrighteous) therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth(ie by the faith/religion) proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.",

fourth Commandment(Exodus 20:8-11): Keep and Purify the all Creation of God, for God made All for six days and in the seventh day He prolapsed in a state of a sleepiness(ie non-entire cogency). Also, while He is still in this condition, you must Keep/Purify (also) the: sleep, rest, inaction, and peace - 1 Corinthians 10:26 "the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.", 1 Timothy 4:4-5 "For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God(ie "fasting") and prayer.", Mark 9:29 "And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting(comment: "fasting" is The Keeping of God Commandments).", Matthew 7:7-12 "Ask(ie Ask the Good things), and it shall be given you; seek(ie Seek the True Lord God), and ye shall find; knock(ie Be Assertive), and it shall be opened unto you(ie and the Good shall be Given more soon): For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them(ie only Good things, the Good): for this is the law and the prophets."

Back