1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

1 Corinthians 8:5 many gods and lords

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by pastor franszwa, Mar 31, 2015.

1. I’d like to be saved & delivered! What name must I call upon?
    Because in:
    1 Corinthians 8:5 For even if there are so-called gods and lords, whether in heaven or on earth

I believe we take His Name in “VAIN” when we knowingly and willingly replace his name, in proper context, with the general and meaningless title of LORD, God, Adonai, HaShem, or any other names.
    What is His name?
    Psalm 83:18 May they know that You alone-- whose name is Yahweh-- are the Most High over all the earth. Malachi 2:1 And now, O priests, this command is for you. Malachi 2:2 Listen to me and make up your minds to honor my Name," says Father Yahweh of Heaven's Armies, "or I will bring a terrible curse against you. I will curse even the blessings you receive. Indeed, I have already cursed them, because you have not taken my warning to heart. This are some SERIOUS and strong words.
    Deuteronomy 12:32 "So be careful to obey all the commands I give you. You must not add anything to them or subtract anything from them.
    Exodus 34:14 You must worship no other gods, for Father Yahweh, whose very name is Jealous, is a God who is jealous about his relationship with you.
    Psalm 16:4 and 1 Chronicles 17:21 and John 12:28 and 17;11-6-26
    Psalm 79:6 Pour out your wrath on the nations that refuse to acknowledge you--on kingdoms that do not call upon your name.
    Exodus 23:13 “Pay attention to all that I have said to you, and make no mention of the names of other gods, nor let it be heard on your lips.

Joel 2:32 and Acts 2:21 and Romans 10:13
    But everyone who calls on the name of Yahweh will be saved, for some on Mount Zion in Jerusalem will escape, just as Father Yahweh has said. These will be among the survivors whom the Father has called.

The KNOWLEDGE and USE of the Father's Name is clearly in the context of Scripture as John and Revelation shows us.

He is making His Name known to those who seek Him. (Jer. 16:21) We must KNOW IT and USE IT, it is our DESTINY!

Can the Father be any more clear?

2. Very interesting post...i will be chewing on this some. I always thought that the Names like Lord or God were related to the original Hebrew words? Thank You for the insight! May the Lord richly bless you and all that you do!
  3. Jesus is the name we call on to be saved, or in hebrew Yeshua..his name IS salvation.
  4. #4 Francis Drake, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Its interesting that all languages on earth seem to have almost identical baby language names for father and mother.
    Words like Abba dada papa tata baba. etc appear throughout the world.
    Likewise Mother is mama moma muma ama, in nearly every language.
    The reason for all the similarity of words for mam and dad should be obvious. They are the first syllables that undeveloped baby mouths can form.
    Every time baby makes a noise, mama picks it up nurses and feeds it. Association starts to turn random crying into recognisable words. What fool would be judgmental of the exactnessness of a child crying Dada, or papa, or tata. Any proud parent is always delighted at being recognised and responds by reaching down in love.
    Likewise Jesus addressed his real heavenly father with the term of endearment "abba" daddy that he had grown up with.

So what has this to do with the name of God?
    Everything! Jesus said, "I and my father are one." Jesus is God, his father is God, the Holy Spirit is God. I am not worried in the least that I don't get the name quite right, because, My daddy in heaven, abba, tata, papa, knows perfectly well who I am calling on when my heart reaches out to him!

In the sense of our eternal security, just getting the name linguistically correct means nothing. God knows those who are his.

Getting the name right is insignificant when compared to getting his character right.
    The one we worship is hopefully, a god of love, mercy, slow to anger and swift to bless. A redeemer of all those who have failed to get it right the first time, second, third, .....and the nth time!

There is a constant echo around the world at the moment, declaring that the three " monotheistic religions, Judaism Christianity, Islam, all worship the same God.

Typically the name of the Judeo/Christian God is claimed to be interchangeable with Allah. It is certainly true that arab translations of the scriptures use "Allah" where we might find "God" used. It is also the case that many linguists tell us that the Hebrew word translated as "God" is just one name amongst many in the ancient pantheon of gods found in archeological clay tablets etc.

So whether we use Allah, Elohim, or God, for the one we worship, does this god demand that we slaughter everyone in the world who doesn't bow down and obey the exact same rules that we demand as being righteous?

You think I am talking about Islam, but in fact that is what happened during the Torquemada, the Spanish inquisition. Purity of the faith was pursued down to the very last detail of thought crimes which would get you burned at the stake for not worshiping God correctly.
    All in the name of the Christian God.
    Of course we are seeing Islam pursuing the same policy today for their monotheistic creator god.

So whether I call him Father, or daddy god, whether I call on the name of Yeshua or Jesus. I know that he knows who I mean, and that he loves me passionately, beyond anything I could ever imagine.
  5. From what I understand, no one knows the Almighty Creators name. We know how it is spelled, but because it lacked punctuation in the original text, and that the Hebrews didn't speak His name out of reverence, the pronunciation has been lost.

Many have speculated how to say His name, but I myself don't know which could be correct.