True praise?

We all know that when we pray we are to incorporate praise into our prayer; thanking Him for everything He has done, is doing and will do. I find myself at times, though, feeling as if the praise is a mere formality. I repeat the same phrasing often, and when I try to think of other things to praise Him for it almost seems forced.
Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. I've only been saved 5 months, so maybe it stands to reason that the longer a relationship goes on, more things happen that I can draw from. Natural in any relationship I guess. I can obviously think of many things that I'm thankful for, I just wish it was truly heartfelt much more often. God bless

We all know that when we pray we are to incorporate praise into our prayer; thanking Him for everything He has done, is doing and will do. I find myself at times, though, feeling as if the praise is a mere formality. I repeat the same phrasing often, and when I try to think of other things to praise Him for it almost seems forced.
Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. I've only been saved 5 months, so maybe it stands to reason that the longer a relationship goes on, more things happen that I can draw from. Natural in any relationship I guess. I can obviously think of many things that I'm thankful for, I just wish it was truly heartfelt much more often. God bless
I recommend reading the book The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. It's a short book, easy reading, that will change your relationship with God and help you mature in your Christian walk. It's available from Amazon in paperback for $6.99.

As you grow in your relationship with God it will become more natural to praise Him.

Good morning, drequeen;

I remember as a young boy and teen looking at the stained glass and imagining things in Church during the sermon. I had no clue what the minister was preaching but I was definitely not giving true praise.

But as
Dave F. shared when we grow in prayer, reading, singing, etc...in our relationship with God, we slowly but surely develop a deeper true praise to Him.

God bless
you, drequeen.

Good morning drequeen,
This is a very good question... and I am going to give you an answer LARGER than what you have asked... Just because I can. HA.

Praise/Worship is a different thing than prayer in my opinion. Although prayer can often have aspects of thanksgiving in it... TRUE WORSHIP
is approaching GOD ALMIGHTY with REVERENCE... and for the sole purpose of WORSHIPPING HIM. It is a state of being that whole heatedly approaches GOD on the premise of HONOURING WHO HE IS.

God has a nature... HE is the GREAT I AM. Imagine you are invited the the king's house for an audience of ONE... YOU and the king.
You would NOT dare begin to complain and petition him for things. YOU would simply bow before him and marvel at the fact that you are in the king's house. Worship is the same thing... only a MILLION times more impressive. HA.

I did not explain this as articulately as I would have liked. I apologize for that. I am in the middle of preparing a large meal for a group of people and so my thoughts are all over the place.

I would encourage you to research the term Worship... and begin by humbly thanking God for his GOODNESS... the list of God's being is endless... He is faithful... He is perfect... He is HOLY... He is MIGHTY.... the list goes on and on and on to infinity.
Thanking God for WHO HE IS... will take you to the door of the THRONE ROOM where God invites us to enter in BOLDLY.

God bless you drequeen.

Thank you for the replies. This past week has been particularly bad (as far as my faith goes). Mom isn't doing well and has several doctors visits this week and next, culminating in a hip replacement. I've let other "things" get in the way (anger, doubt, fear, you name it).

Just got through reading a chapter in "Discovering Your Identity" by Charles Stanley. Two lines really stuck out and I hope it's OK to quote them here:

"We are new creatures with a new life ahead - a life that is reconciled to God and is set on a path toward fulfillment and satisfaction in Christ Jesus".

"Our new life in Christ is not based on what we do but on who we ARE in Christ".

Not exactly breaking news here, but it's amazing how quotes like this or a random verse in scripture can overpower us, and ultimately empower us. God bless

I recommend reading the book The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. It's a short book, easy reading, that will change your relationship with God and help you mature in your Christian walk. It's available from Amazon in paperback for $6.99.
I have that book in my cart now. Amazon has been here the past 3 days. As I live far off the main road, I feel guilty having them come down too often lol. I will buy this book and give you an update, thanks. God bless

Back