Nineveh - The Bible and Archaeology Once Again Come Together

This is an amazing documentary that one may show to others, demonstrating how once again, time and time again, the Bible is proven true again. The gainsayers out there have denied the plethora of evidence within archaeological excavations, never intending to go out and do their own homework to see the evidence for themselves...they are the ones I simply walk away from, leaving them to their fates. One may point out all the current evidences that are collectively overwhelming in the avalanche of proof for the authenticity of the word of God, but most are not at all interested, and even avoid looking upon the evidence, lest they are found for the liars and cheats that they are.

Watch this and comment as you see fit, because this is where the rubber meets the roadway of culture and society. This is a great repository for the tools one may call upon if you ever find yourself in conversation with someone who actually wants to see some evidence, this is a great start.

Here are a couple points that help flesh out the historical events.

(1) The following information concerning the Pharaoh Taharqa is also confirmed by Sennacherib's Prism and the Bible.

Sennacherib Prism
"The officials, nobles, and people of Ekron, who had thrown Padi their king—bound by oath and curse of Assyria— into fetters of iron and had given him over to Hezekiah, the Judahite—he kept him in confinement like an enemy—their heart became afraid, and they called upon the Egyptian kings, the bowmen, chariots and horses of the king of Meluhha [Ethiopia], a countless host, and these came to their aid. In the neighborhood of Eltekeh, their ranks being drawn up before me, they offered battle. With the aid of Aššur, my lord, I fought with them and brought about their defeat. The Egyptian charioteers and princes, together with the Ethiopian king's charioteers, my hands captured alive in the midst of the battle. Eltekeh and Timnah I besieged, I captured, and I took away their spoil.

The word "Meluhha" is the Assyrian name for Kush\Cush.

The Bible reports:
"Now Sennacherib received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. So he again sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, 2 Kings 19:9).

"Now Sennacheribab received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. When he heard it, he sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, Isaiah 37:9).

(2) There is another inscription concerning Hezekiah besides the Sennacherib Prism, and it is the Bull inscription. Seen here:

It is called the Bull inscription because it was found "from under stomach of sculpture of human-headed winged-bull."

Part of the inscription read:
"The tough and powerful Hezekiah, its [i.e. Judah's] king, I brought to submission at my feet."

That is a remarkable statement. In his monograph (Hezekiah in History and Tradition, p. 85) Robb Andrew Young states:

"For an Assyrian king to bestow such an accolade upon an enemy is extremely unusual, and diametrically opposed to the enterprise of imperial propaganda."

In other words, Hezekiah was no joke, high praise from Sennacherib himself. No doubt it was Hezekiah thoughtful preparation for defending Jerusalem (because he listen to the word of the LORD ), that saved Jerusalem and the nation of Judah from total defeat.

"Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses. And the LORD was with him; he was successful in whatever he undertook. He rebelled against the king of Assyria and did not serve him" (2 Kings 18:6-8).

Last edited:
Here are a couple points that help flesh out the historical events.

(1) The following information concerning the Pharaoh Taharqa is also confirmed by Sennacherib's Prism and the Bible.

Sennacherib Prism
"The officials, nobles, and people of Ekron, who had thrown Padi their king—bound by oath and curse of Assyria— into fetters of iron and had given him over to Hezekiah, the Judahite—he kept him in confinement like an enemy—their heart became afraid, and they called upon the Egyptian kings, the bowmen, chariots and horses of the king of Meluhha [Ethiopia], a countless host, and these came to their aid. In the neighborhood of Eltekeh, their ranks being drawn up before me, they offered battle. With the aid of Aššur, my lord, I fought with them and brought about their defeat. The Egyptian charioteers and princes, together with the Ethiopian king's charioteers, my hands captured alive in the midst of the battle. Eltekeh and Timnah I besieged, I captured, and I took away their spoil.

The word "Meluhha" is the Assyrian name for Kush\Cush.

The Bible reports:
"Now Sennacherib received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. So he again sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, 2 Kings 19:9).

"Now Sennacheribab received a report that Tirhakah, the king of Cush, was marching out to fight against him. When he heard it, he sent messengers to Hezekiah with this word:" (NIV, Isaiah 37:9).

(2) There is another inscription concerning Hezekiah besides the Sennacherib Prism, and it is the Bull inscription. Seen here:

It is called the Bull inscription because it was found "from under stomach of sculpture of human-headed winged-bull."

Part of the inscription read:
"The tough and powerful Hezekiah, its [i.e. Judah's] king, I brought to submission at my feet."

That is a remarkable statement. In his monograph (Hezekiah in History and Tradition, p. 85) Robb Andrew Young states:

"For an Assyrian king to bestow such an accolade upon an enemy is extremely unusual, and diametrically opposed to the enterprise of imperial propaganda."

In other words, Hezekiah was no joke, high praise from Sennacherib himself. No doubt it was Hezekiah thoughtful preparation for defending Jerusalem (because he listen to the word of the LORD ), that saved Jerusalem and the nation of Judah from total defeat.

"Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses. And the LORD was with him; he was successful in whatever he undertook. He rebelled against the king of Assyria and did not serve him" (2 Kings 18:6-8).

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing this. I also like what the commentator on the video said, in that had Jerusalem fallen, that may have also interrupted the lineage of Christ. I'm not sure about the particulars of that claim, but it would be worth looking into to see if it be true.

MM

I also like what the commentator on the video said, in that had Jerusalem fallen, that may have also interrupted the lineage of Christ. I'm not sure about the particulars of that claim, but it would be worth looking into to see if it be true.
I alluded to the same kind of thing in this post concerning Athaliah Queen of Judah.

The Bible states:
And when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal (2 Kings 11:2).

But when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal of the house of Judah (2 Chon. 22:10).

I stated: "No doubt Athaliah's motivation was to clear her way to the throne by eliminating all rivals thereby leaving her the sole ruler. However her method could have end with the extermination of the royal line of Judah, the royal line of the Messianic King the son of David.

That is, if she had succeeded. Divine providence is a wonderful thing."

Back