Christianity and Zen

You've failed to read my posts, no where did I say I was following Buddism, I was practicing Zen, two completely different things. No one "empties" their mind, they de clutter it. These days there's plenty to de clutter. Reading the scriptures alone does not do it for me, it's not magic. If that worked everyone would be doing it, prayer would replace depression medications and counseling.
I did read all of your posts my friend. I am saying clearly that ZEN is a practice/method of Buddhists.

You stated that you practice Zen, and I said that it is a part of Buddhism.

You stated that you Focus on personal experience, self-discovery, and direct realization and through that you have seen that It encourages you to look within yourself for enlightenment and that reading the Bible and prayer does not do that for you.

I am saying that as a human being, born with a sin nature, the only enlightenment that we can find is what we find in the Bible.

Zen and Buddhism are not that different. Buddhism in a sense is a door into Zen. As a matter of fact there is such a thing called Zen Buddhism.
The 'clearing of the mind' so called and meditation in Zen is a practice of emptying the mind of words, concepts, logic etc., which ironically is the basis for the Christian faith, i.e. propositional truth. Our peace comes through knowing these truths Rom 5:1 (peace with God), acting upon them Phil 4:7 (peace of God), and knowing the Person Himself (Matt 11:28) and not by an impersonal human construct.
Oil and water don't mix.
Thank you bro....that is exactly what I have said. Well said.

You stated that you Focus on personal experience, self-discovery, and direct realization and through that you have seen that It encourages you to look within yourself for enlightenment and that reading the Bible and prayer does not do that for you.
Yes, the Christian faith encourages one to look outside oneself to the crucified and the physically risen Christ for our peace and not be navel gazers.

Yes, the Christian faith encourages one to look outside oneself to the crucified and the physically risen Christ for our peace and not be navel gazers.
Absolutely!

If we, me or anyone look inside of ourselves to find peace, all we will see is the ugly side of sin because of our sin nature.

Now, please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that we can stop, take time to be introspective and contemplate our lives and try to find peace and quiet in a troubled time. However, without the forgivness of our sins we will never find true peace with God.

the only true peace is in CHRIST Zen goes against the Bible and its playing with fire

John 16:33

33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I'm curious what others thoughts are on using both in your life? Zen focusing on bringing enlightenment to ones self and decluttering ones mind in order to do so. And Christianity where the individual is enlightened by Gods word and living in such a manner.

Zen does not worship anything, so "no false Gods" doesn't apply here, neither would the Occult because the individual is not drawing from an outside spiritual force. Everything comes from within. I've seen books on Meditating on the Scriptures, so I don't feel there's any conflict here. If one were an actual Buddhist then I would see a conflict, but that doesn't apply here.
Good morning CapeCodder ... I went back and read your original post... and yet I am thinking that you are probably offended at those of us who have stated we are NOT on the side of such a practice.

I read all the posts by various members... and I feel everyone has spoken with love and concern. As Christians... we are getting railed upon by the many "spiritual practices" that claim to "bring us peace". It seems that gone are the days where we can live and let live. We are not allowed to stick to the TRUTH that GOD does not change with the times. We are called dinosaurs... "out of touch" and not with the program.

At one time when I would tell others I was a Christian... it was accepted without debate. Now... If I state I am a Christian... the world expects me to be a PROGRESSIVE CHRISTIAN that embraces the concept that the Bible was written during a specific time... and no longer applies to the world today.

In my opinion... the phrase... Progressive Christian is a term used for someone who does NOT believe the Bible is GOD BREATHED... therefore nil and void of any power.

I am sorry that you have not received a blessing for a practice that is obviously dear to your heart.

I do feel that people have spoken with kindness and love... myself included.

God bless you and May we ALL be open for correction of beliefs we have that are NOT biblical ( myself included ).

Back